Ir al contenido principal

A Matter of Trust

Embracing family time |

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
TIME SUBSCRIBE to TIME Magazine

It's day 105 of staying-at-home in my household (but who's counting?). Somewhere around day 90, the siren song of summer and my state's declining rate of coronavirus cases started tempting us to emerge from our cocoon. So my family, like many other families, is inching its way back into the outside world. When I say "outside world," I mean literally outside. As in, the yard. We're still in the privileged position of being able to stay out of stores and offices.

My husband and daughters are incredibly social and extroverted. I stand in stark contrast. Staying home in pajamas without apology has been wish-fulfillment for me. As my kids start socializing again, I'm still on my couch under a pile of work, barking out reminders about sunscreen and social distancing every time they step outside. But what happens when I'm not watching? At ages 10 and 12, my kids are exploring their boundaries. I trust that they make an effort to follow the rules, and I enjoy their horrified reports of "naughty" friends taking off their masks or sitting too close together.

I'm not naive enough to believe their insistence that they're routinely the only kids in any small group who stayed on their best behavior. Yet I find myself looking the other way. I'm not proud of it, and it doesn't feel right. But insisting they stay home while I work all day doesn't feel right either. I have taken the "what I don't know can't hurt me" approach to parenting many times. When I suspect Rosie's snuck an extra Oreo, or Anna's watched two TV shows instead of one, I can live with it. But in this instance, what I don't know can hurt me.

I expected to have a few more years before confronting life-and-death scenarios. (They're too young to drive, experiment with alcohol, and so on.) At what point do we decide to trust our kids even when the stakes are high? How do we convey an awareness of consequences without terrifying them? Write to me at andrea@time.com. I'm so grateful for your collective wisdom and company as I stay tucked away on my couch.

All the best,
Andrea    
MORE STORIES

Many traditional camps are closed this summer, but TIME for Kids is here to help. Sign up to receive free daily activities, created and curated by the editors of TIME for Kids. Sign up for the newsletter with one click to learn more.

The cover of TIME's July 6 double issue features artist Charly Palmer's painting of a child who is "faced with both the injustice of today and America's historical role in it." Palmer's working on a project to reintroduce a version of W.E.B. Du Bois' children's magazine, The Brownies' Book.

In this essay, Jaquira Díaz writes: "I am the Black daughter of a white woman, which means that in my family tree there are colonizers as well as colonized people, and I carry this violence in my body."

And Damon Young writes, "If the schools I attended were my only resource for learning about slavery, I would've thought that Abraham Lincoln personally went block to block, like an Amazon truck, to deliver freedom–and I went to 'good' schools."

Another worthwhile read: In 2019, TIME published Young's essay about raising a Black daughter.

Oakland is removing police officers from the city's schools.

In this new novel, a mother is overwhelmed by debt from an emergency C-section, student loans, and the cost of raising two young children.

Last year, billionaire Robert F. Smith pledged during a commencement speech to pay off the student debt of the Morehouse College class of 2019. Now, Smith is launching an initiative to ease student debt at historically Black colleges and universities.

 
To Unsubscribe
You have received this e-mail because you are subscribed to this newsletter from TIME.com. Unsubscribe here.


Update Email
Click here to update your email address.

Privacy Policy
Please read our Privacy Policy, or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://time.com/privacy

TIME may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.

For Further Communication
Please contact parents@time.com
TIME USA, LLC
3 Bryant Park
New York, NY 10036
Connect with TIME
Find TIME on Facebook
Follow TIME on Twitter
Subscribe to more TIME Newsletters
Get TIME on your Mobile Device
Get TIME on your iPad
Subscribe to RSS Feed

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: L Brands, Estee Lauder, CureVac, Tesla & more

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: L Brands, Estee Lauder, CureVac, Tesla & more This is a developing news story. Please check back for updates: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/stocks-making-the-biggest-moves-midday-l-brands-estee-lauder-curevac-tesla-more.html Follow @CNBCnow for breaking news and real-time market updates Unsubscribe Manage Newsletters Terms of Service Join the CNBC Panel   Digital Products Feedback Privacy Policy CNBC Events   © 2020 CNBC LLC. All rights reserved. A property of NBCUniversal. 900 Sylvan Avenue, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632 D

13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil

13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil Get the Magazine 13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil Read More »

Another S&P 500 record as month-end nears | Paypal to offer stock trading? | The end of the 20-year Afghanistan war

The S&P 500 set another record high on Monday as the market continued to rise in the final days of August. VIEW IN BROWSER | SUBSCRIBE MON, AUG 30, 2021 EVENING BRIEF   AS OF MON, AUG 30, 2021 • 04:51 ET DJIA 35399.84 -0.16% -55.96 S&P 500 4528.79 +0.43% +19.42 NASDAQ 15265.89 +0.90% +136.39   Most Active DOW NAME LAST CHG %CHG AAPL 153.12 +4.52 +3.04% MSFT 303.59 +3.87 +1.29% INTC