Ir al contenido principal

Alone Time

|

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
TIME SUBSCRIBE to TIME Magazine

This week, I spent substantial time alone for the first time in many months. My husband took our girls camping in Acadia National Park, an adventure that felt safe under these circumstances. I stayed home to work, a reality that felt unavoidable under these circumstances.

I was sad to miss out on memorable moments: hiking, seeing sunsets, eating s'mores. Especially the s'mores. But being home alone was like a luxury vacation compared to camping (which I do not love) with my kids (whom I do love, but absence indeed makes the heart grow fonder).

I did not miss the pressure to wrap up long work days, clean up dinner dishes, and break up stupid squabbles. I enjoyed reading, taking walks, and seeing a friend who always brings me joy. But I spent more of my time alone confronting tough truths: Our country is a heartbreaking mess. The coronavirus shows no sign of slowing. My office and local schools show no sign of reopening. I'd been in constant motion and hadn't slowed down to grieve the pleasures and routines I'm starting to accept will not return. I guess the grass is always greener. I assumed having time to myself would make me feel sane. But it made me feel sad.

What can I extrapolate from this? Maybe I'm better off being busy. Maybe my kids keep me grounded. Or maybe I just need to eat some s'mores.

How have you been feeling? Write me at andrea@time.com to let me know.

Best,
Andrea    
MORE STORIES

Two years ago, TIME spoke with teachers about how wage stagnation and budget cuts were affecting them. We've followed up with those teachers about how they're preparing for an unprecedented school year. 

Parents have tough choices to make about school in the COVID-19 era. Here's how they handled similar choices when it came to polio in the 1950s. 

Do your kids like SpongeBob SquarePants? Then they'll want to watch The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run when it's released in January—and you might just want to watch it, too. The president of Paramount Animation told TIME that when she saw the film for the first time, she was moved to tears.

COVID-19 is making a "normal" college experience impossible this year. Here's what that means for the economic model of higher education

After the shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, you may be looking for ways to talk to your kids about race and inequality. I'd like to resurface this reading list of anti-racist books for kids and teens created by Marley Dias, the young founder of the #1000BlackGirlBooks campaign. 

 
To Unsubscribe
You have received this e-mail because you are subscribed to this newsletter from TIME.com. Unsubscribe here.


Update Email
Click here to update your email address.

Privacy Policy
Please read our Privacy Policy, or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://time.com/privacy

TIME may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.

For Further Communication
Please contact parents@time.com
TIME Customer Service
P.O. Box 37508
Boone, IA 50037-0508
Connect with TIME
Find TIME on Facebook
Follow TIME on Twitter
Subscribe to more TIME Newsletters
Get TIME on your Mobile Device
Get TIME on your iPad
Subscribe to RSS Feed

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: L Brands, Estee Lauder, CureVac, Tesla & more

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: L Brands, Estee Lauder, CureVac, Tesla & more This is a developing news story. Please check back for updates: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/stocks-making-the-biggest-moves-midday-l-brands-estee-lauder-curevac-tesla-more.html Follow @CNBCnow for breaking news and real-time market updates Unsubscribe Manage Newsletters Terms of Service Join the CNBC Panel   Digital Products Feedback Privacy Policy CNBC Events   © 2020 CNBC LLC. All rights reserved. A property of NBCUniversal. 900 Sylvan Avenue, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632 D

13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil

13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil Get the Magazine 13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil Read More »

Another S&P 500 record as month-end nears | Paypal to offer stock trading? | The end of the 20-year Afghanistan war

The S&P 500 set another record high on Monday as the market continued to rise in the final days of August. VIEW IN BROWSER | SUBSCRIBE MON, AUG 30, 2021 EVENING BRIEF   AS OF MON, AUG 30, 2021 • 04:51 ET DJIA 35399.84 -0.16% -55.96 S&P 500 4528.79 +0.43% +19.42 NASDAQ 15265.89 +0.90% +136.39   Most Active DOW NAME LAST CHG %CHG AAPL 153.12 +4.52 +3.04% MSFT 303.59 +3.87 +1.29% INTC