Ir al contenido principal

Milestone Moments

|

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

Both of my girls had graduation ceremonies this week—or moving-up ceremonies, to be precise. One is leaving elementary school, the other is leaving middle school, and I feel like I'm leaving a significant and distinct era of parenting. I'm not handling it gracefully, which is no surprise. The girls are bounding eagerly into the future, while I wish I could strap them into car seats and put them back in cribs.

I've been told that from the moment our children take their first steps, our job as parents is to equip them with the skills to walk away from us and into the world. I get that. Thank goodness my girls are sleep-trained, potty-trained, and capable of feeding themselves. I've also been told that the days are long but the years fly by. I get that too. Goodness knows I spent most of their younger years complaining about exhaustion and chaos. In other words, intellectually, I accept that time marches on. But emotionally, I'm not there yet, and I'm not sure I ever will be.

I usually try to give these notes a narrative arc, with at least some semblance of storytelling. This week is really just a journal entry, with the hope that your collective wisdom and experience can comfort me. How do you fully embrace these milestone moments? Is nostalgia always a part of moving on? Write to me at andrea@time.com.

Best,

Andrea

P.S. You won't see us in your inbox next week. We're taking a long weekend in honor of Independence Day. See you soon!    
MORE STORIES

This week's cover story of TIME goes inside the fight over what kids should learn about America's history. 

The new film Fatherhood is based on the true story of a single father who is left with a newborn daughter to raise.

The Supreme Court has ruled that foster agencies may refuse to certify same-sex couples as foster parents based on religious beliefs. 

"When my mother was dying and the pandemic kept me from her, I was constantly aware of just how much couldn't be expressed in words." Author Nicole Chung writes about being haunted by the hugs she was unable to give her mother during the pandemic. 

 
To Unsubscribe
You have received this e-mail because you are subscribed to this newsletter from TIME.com. Unsubscribe here.


Update Email
Click here to update your email address.

Privacy Policy
Please read our Privacy Policy, or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://time.com/privacy

TIME may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.

For Further Communication
Please contact parents@time.com
TIME Customer Service
P.O. Box 37508
Boone, IA 50037-0508
Connect with TIME
Find TIME on Facebook
Follow TIME on Twitter
Subscribe to more TIME Newsletters

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: L Brands, Estee Lauder, CureVac, Tesla & more

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: L Brands, Estee Lauder, CureVac, Tesla & more This is a developing news story. Please check back for updates: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/stocks-making-the-biggest-moves-midday-l-brands-estee-lauder-curevac-tesla-more.html Follow @CNBCnow for breaking news and real-time market updates Unsubscribe Manage Newsletters Terms of Service Join the CNBC Panel   Digital Products Feedback Privacy Policy CNBC Events   © 2020 CNBC LLC. All rights reserved. A property of NBCUniversal. 900 Sylvan Avenue, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632 D

13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil

13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil Get the Magazine 13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil Read More »

Another S&P 500 record as month-end nears | Paypal to offer stock trading? | The end of the 20-year Afghanistan war

The S&P 500 set another record high on Monday as the market continued to rise in the final days of August. VIEW IN BROWSER | SUBSCRIBE MON, AUG 30, 2021 EVENING BRIEF   AS OF MON, AUG 30, 2021 • 04:51 ET DJIA 35399.84 -0.16% -55.96 S&P 500 4528.79 +0.43% +19.42 NASDAQ 15265.89 +0.90% +136.39   Most Active DOW NAME LAST CHG %CHG AAPL 153.12 +4.52 +3.04% MSFT 303.59 +3.87 +1.29% INTC