Ir al contenido principal

Birthdays and Anniversaries

|

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

Today is my father's birthday, and tomorrow is my daughter's: It's a great week for eating cake! We celebrated my dad with a rare dinner for just my parents, my sister, and me. Usually it's the whole orchestra, which includes two husbands and five more kids. There was a lot of talk of how special it felt to spend time with just our original quartet.

As is often the case on birthdays, there was also talk of years past. We ate in lower Manhattan, which conjured a conversation about the upcoming 20th anniversary of September 11, 2001. I was then fresh out of college, and working at the New York Times . I tore myself away from watching the smoke outside my apartment window and rode the subway uptown to Times Square. (The subway! Right in the middle of the madness of that morning!) My parents were living in Ann Arbor then. Looking back, I can't imagine how they felt that day, and in the succeeding weeks. I wasn't in danger, but we didn't know that at the time. And I was naïve, and unprepared for the flood of emotions that followed that morning. Watching from afar must have been miserable for my parents. At dinner, I acknowledged that to them, ashamed it had taken me twenty years to see it from their perspective.

Later, it occurred to me that I share stories with you about being a parent but not about being a daughter, or about my parents. Partly, it's respect for their privacy. But also, I remember my childhood as idyllic. I was raised with more love and care than most people can even dream of, and my parents made it look easy. So it's hard for me to imagine that parenting was hard for them, as it is for everyone, at times. And not just in the past tense! Tending to two adult daughters is still a lot to deal with.

If you still have a parent in your life, how has your experience of parenthood changed that relationship? If you've lost a parent, how does that impact your parenting? I'd love to hear from you. You'll find me at andrea@time.com.

Best,
Andrea    
MORE STORIES

Parents had dreamed of a smooth return to school this fall. This is the nightmare we're facing instead. 

Pediatric COVID-19 cases are surging

Already, schools across the country are returning to remote learning.

Vermont has been praised for its approach to reopening schools. But an education expert argues that the state has left school leaders and unvaccinated children at the mercy of local political whims.

National teachers unions support vaccine mandates for teachers—kind of

School districts across the country are grappling with a shortage of bus drivers.

In an interview, an Afghan teacher discusses how the international community can rally to protect girls from the Taliban. 

 
To Unsubscribe
You have received this e-mail because you are subscribed to this newsletter from TIME.com. Unsubscribe here.


Update Email
Click here to update your email address.

Privacy Policy
Please read our Privacy Policy, or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://time.com/privacy

TIME may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.

For Further Communication
Please contact parents@time.com
TIME Customer Service
P.O. Box 37508
Boone, IA 50037-0508
Connect with TIME
Find TIME on Facebook
Follow TIME on Twitter
Subscribe to more TIME Newsletters

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: L Brands, Estee Lauder, CureVac, Tesla & more

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: L Brands, Estee Lauder, CureVac, Tesla & more This is a developing news story. Please check back for updates: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/stocks-making-the-biggest-moves-midday-l-brands-estee-lauder-curevac-tesla-more.html Follow @CNBCnow for breaking news and real-time market updates Unsubscribe Manage Newsletters Terms of Service Join the CNBC Panel   Digital Products Feedback Privacy Policy CNBC Events   © 2020 CNBC LLC. All rights reserved. A property of NBCUniversal. 900 Sylvan Avenue, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632 D

13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil

13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil Get the Magazine 13 Foods That (Basically) Never Spoil Read More »

Another S&P 500 record as month-end nears | Paypal to offer stock trading? | The end of the 20-year Afghanistan war

The S&P 500 set another record high on Monday as the market continued to rise in the final days of August. VIEW IN BROWSER | SUBSCRIBE MON, AUG 30, 2021 EVENING BRIEF   AS OF MON, AUG 30, 2021 • 04:51 ET DJIA 35399.84 -0.16% -55.96 S&P 500 4528.79 +0.43% +19.42 NASDAQ 15265.89 +0.90% +136.39   Most Active DOW NAME LAST CHG %CHG AAPL 153.12 +4.52 +3.04% MSFT 303.59 +3.87 +1.29% INTC