| |
| |
I’ll admit: I’ve never given much thought to toilet paper. The same cannot be said for some online wellness influencers, who like to post about how toxic it is. |
But is it really? Jillian Pretzel asked experts about potential issues with toilet tissue in her new piece for TIME. What she found was eye-opening, but ultimately reassuring. |
|
|
TODAY’S TOPICS |
|
|
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
| |
| |
QUICK CHAT |
A scientist turned vintner |
Tony Wyss-Coray, one of TIME’s 2026 Longevity Leaders, was born in a small Swiss village. As a youngster, he dreamt of becoming a farmer. But he ended up on a different path: one that has led to the cutting-edge of neuroscience, aging biology, and longevity. |
I recently chatted with Wyss-Coray, a professor of neurology at Stanford University, about his journey to becoming a scientist—and how he finally fulfilled his childhood dream. —Dominique Mosbergen, Health Correspondent |
This interview has been edited for clarity. |
 |
Ola Hopper—Stanford University |
|
Have you always harbored a passion for science? |
I loved nature as a child. We had a big garden, and my first science project was breeding frogs. I had seen a brochure that said that amphibians were under threat of extinction, so I thought, “OK, I will breed them.” I captured tadpoles in a little pond and raised them, and then I released little frogs in our neighborhood. |
Did you always know you wanted to become a scientist? |
When I was in high school, I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do in life: to be a scientist or a farmer. In the end, I decided I would go to college, and my plan was to study plants. But I took an immunology class and we had a really good, charismatic teacher who made the subject interesting. It was really interesting to me how sophisticated the immune system is, and I ended up doing my PhD in immunology. |
Afterwards, my postdoc mentor was a neuroscientist who wanted to understand the role of the immune system in the brain and in neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, so I got into the brain, too. |
Do you ever think about how differently your life would have turned out if you had become a farmer? |
Actually, I’m sort of living both dreams now. I have a vineyard called Rejuvenate Vineyards. It’s not that big, but we grow a lot of fruit and make two types of wine. One could say that farm life is helping me age more healthily. |
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
| |
| |
SPONSORED |
1,000,000 Men Use This. You Probably Know One. |
|
|
Most men don't think about their skin until eye bags, dark spots, and wrinkles show up at once. Particle Face Cream is a groundbreaking men's formula that fights all three, while also restoring firmness and hydrating deeply. No complicated routine. Trusted by over a million men. 30-day money-back guarantee. 20% off with code BH20. |
Get 20% Off Today |
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
| |
| |
TIME TO TALK |
How to handle the silent treatment |
 |
Photo-Illustration by TIME (Source Image: Giulio Fornasar—Getty Images) |
|
Time apart during conflict can be healthy—if someone explains that they need a break and says when they’ll return. The silent treatment, on the other hand, can trigger anxiety and uncertainty. Some people go quiet because they’re overwhelmed, not because they’re trying to hurt you. Still, you don’t have to sit by the phone wondering what to do next. |
Send one clear message—then stop chasing |
Try: “I noticed you’ve gone quiet. I want to understand what’s happening, but I don’t want to push you if you need space. Can we choose a time to talk?” Then resist the urge to keep calling, texting, or apologizing simply to get a response. Step away from your phone and do something grounding, like taking a walk, journaling, or calling a friend. |
Make a plan for next time |
When communication resumes, don’t pretend nothing happened. Ask what was going on for them, then explain how their silence affected you: “I’m OK with taking space, but I need to know we’ll come back to the conversation.” Together, agree on how to request a break, how long it might last, and who will restart the discussion. Healthy relationships allow people to calm down without leaving someone else wondering whether they’ll ever reconnect. —Angela Haupt, Editor, Health & Wellness |
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
| |
| |
SPONSORED |
Short on cash? Get up to $750, no credit check. |
|
|
Access up to $750* from your upcoming paycheck within minutes for a small fee, or wait 3 days and get it for free. No credit check. No late fees. |
Get Started Now |
*Not all users will qualify. Advances range from $25–$750; average advance is $170. Express transfer fees may apply. |
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
| |
| |
PLEASE ADVISE |
Ask the health team |
Have a burning health or wellness question? Wondering how to handle a tricky social situation? Please write to healthmatters@time.com, and we’ll weigh in weekly in the newsletter. |
|
|
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
| |
| |
SPONSORED |
1,000+ Claude Prompts Top Professionals Actually Use at Work |
|
|
Claude can be your analyst, editor, and strategist. |
But most professionals are using it to fix grammar. |
These 1,000+ Claude prompts take it from grammar tool to your most powerful AI work assistant. |
Sign up for Superhuman AI and get: |
1,000+ ready-to-use Claude prompts to get real work done in minutes — researched, tested, and used by professionals at Google, Microsoft, and NASA
Superhuman AI newsletter (4 min daily) so you keep learning new AI tools and skills to stay ahead in your career — the prompts are just the beginning
|
Claim your free prompts |
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
| |
| |
WHAT WE’RE READING |
Today, the FDA approved a powerful new drug for pancreatic cancer—Rasonque (daraxonrasib), from Revolution Medicine—which doubles survival for patients.
Dolly Parton wasn’t just a music icon. Her contributions to science were also impressive, write Elizabeth Gibney and Dhruv Shenai for Nature.
Florida plans to drop four vaccination requirements for public-school students, Jenna Monnin reports for NOTUS. The public has 21 days to comment on the proposed rule.
|
|
|
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
Click to sign up.
|
|
|
|
|
Comentarios
Publicar un comentario